Grilled Stuffed Jalapenos!
I found this recipe in the most recent issue of Cooking Light magazine and made it today for the second time. I made a few minor modifications.
2 slices center cut bacon
8 oz. 1/3-less fat cream cheese
1/4 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup minced green onions
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 clove garlic, minced
14 small jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
1. Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (we have a gas grill that gets insanely hot, so we only turn it on to low).
2. Cook the bacon according to package directions until crispy. Remove bacon from pan to drain on paper towels (I actually cook my bacon in the microwave or the oven) and, once cooled, crumble.
3. Combine crumbled bacon, cheeses, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a bowl, stirring to combine.
4. Spread cheese mixture into each jalapeno half. Place peppers, cheese side up, onto a piece of foil that's been sprayed with cooking spray and placed on the grill. Grill for approximately 8 minutes, until bottoms of the peppers are charred and cheese mixture is slightly browned.
I made enough for tonight and tomorrow night!
5. Place peppers on a serving platter and, if desired, sprinkle with chopped tomato and cilantro.
They turned out beautifully and you might be wondering where the picture of the final product is, but my dang camera died! So you'll just have to believe me when I tell you that they looked and tasted great. They've got a perfect amount of heat to them, I love the fresh garlic and green onion flavor, the slight tang from the lime juice, and the bacon gives them a really nice smoky flavor. Needless to say, I popped more than a few of these "firecrackers" in my mouth tonight.
What special foods will you be making for the 4th?
Happy 4th of July! Enjoy your holiday and good luck to all those running races tomorrow!