Thursday, June 30, 2011

Progressive Eating and 6am Yoga

It occurs to me that I haven't been talking about eating NEARLY enough lately.  I mean, I'm not running right now (FYI, 10 more days), so it's the perfect opportunity to focus on food for a while.  Many of you have heard of the term Progressive Run.

"A Progressive Run sounds just like what it means. The run gets progressively faster each mile. If you are having problems closing out a race or holding onto your pace in the later stages, I strongly recommend this workout."  tips4running.com


But, have you ever heard the term Progressive Eating?  Probably not.  That's because I just made it up.  It's the kind of workout I imagine competitive eaters doing.  Possibly one of the grossest sports ever, but a sport nonetheless.  Well, the other day I realized that more often than not, I am a Progressive Eater.  You know, you wake up in the morning, breathe in the possibilities of a new day and eat a petite bowl of fruit with just a dollop of non-fat plain yogurt.  You think to yourself smugly "MAN I'm healthy!  Check ME out!"


Then 10am rolls around and you wonder what the heck you were thinking with that pathetic petite and dollop crap, and you fix yourself a proper bowl of cereal.  Phew, that's better.


Now it's 12:30 and you've obviously burned through that bowl of cereal by now, so you make yourself a sandwich and some Sun Chips (those are healthy, right?) and I'd love to say a side salad, but no, that would just use up sandwich and Sun Chip space.


3:00.  STARVING.  Fix another bowl of cereal possibly.  Maybe some toast with some more fruit.  But not a petite bowl this time.  You just eat as much as you can right out of the bowl you've got the fruit in or the blueberry or strawberry container.


**At this point in the post, you should insert the sound of a train chugging along at increasing speed, as if going downhill without the breaks on**


5:30.  Start making dinner and "taste test" everything as you go along.  Feeling kinda full from all your "taste testing" by the time you sit down to eat, but it's dinner time, you gotta eat.  Feeling like you might bust by the end of the meal.


And a good dinner it was.  That's a Cajun Hamburger under those avocado and tomato slices.
**Your family goes for a long walk/bike ride around the neighborhood between dinner and bedtime, burning at least 87 calories.**


Your after dinner "workout" leaves you with a huge hungry whole in your belly, so you must have another bowl of cereal at about 10:30.


WOOO WOOOOOOO!!
And the train finally pulls into the station...it's bedtime.

As I read back over this, it doesn't seem all that bad.  And most of what I eat is pretty healthy.  But, some days I do feel like a runaway train with my eating.

Progressive Running: good
Progressive Eating: probably bad
(you like how I leave my options open with the use of 'probably'?)

****************************************************************************
Mine eyes finally saw the glory of 5:30am this morning!  Since I haven't been going on my early morning runs (10 more days, if you didn't catch that first reference) I've been letting myself sleep in.  At first this seemed like a treat.  Then it started to get out of hand.  I actually slept until 8 o'clock one morning last week!!  AACK!!  This did not feel so much like a treat.  I felt like I'd missed half the day!  And I didn't feel more rested, I felt groggy.  Ick.  I did not want to do that again.  And, to be perfectly honest, I've really been missing seeing the early morning hours.  There's just nothing like being awake for the beginning of a new day.  So, yesterday I signed myself up to go to a 6am yoga class.  The alarm went off at 5:25 and I happily rolled out of bed.  I won't say I "popped up" or anything, but I didn't begrudge the awakening.  I drove to the yoga studio with the windows rolled down and the music up.  The sun was rising, the air was fresh (as fresh as it can be with 80% humidity anyway) and I was glad to be awake.  The yoga class was good.  Only about 7 of us.  I love to start the day with a good stretch.  I need to remember to make this a part of my routine even after I get back to running.

Are you a Progressive Eater?

Do you enjoy being up early in the morning?

4 comments:

  1. I love being up early in the morning! I wish I didn't have to rush off to work right away but there is just something that feels so good about being up and starting the day early (especially with a workout).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find I practice progressive eating when I work from home. Part of it is that I'm not in a challenging position right now (working on fixing that) and part of it is just the fact that I'm home and can toast a bagel, make popcorn, whatever...anytime! And no witnesses..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really not a morning person, but I am up about 4:30 am most weekday mornings. It's really just too early, but I prefer to get my workouts done in the am before work and that's the only way I can get in a decent amount of exercise and still have time to get to work.

    I'm definitely a progressive eater. I like to eat something every couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know there are days where I feel like my eating is a train WRECK! All over the place and yes, that taste-testing at dinner used to always be my weakness! i've found that a handful of almonds next to me during preparation, keeps me from munching! I'm glad you posted this today, it'll keep me focused and on track :)

    ReplyDelete