Saturday, March 12, 2011

On the road again...well, the sidewalk, mostly.

So much for getting into that zone where I "forget that I'm running".  Yeah, this morning that seemed like a distant memory.  I went for my first Saturday morning outside run since...well, November, I guess.  I didn't have my neighbor-friend, Karen, with me so I was all by my lonesome out there.  (Poor me, having to run outside on a beautiful Saturday morning, right?  It's possible that there are worse things in the world.)

Turns out I'm not all that keen on running by myself outside.
I think I've been spoiled.
I missed having the company of my running pal.

Each step seemed like work today, and I was worried when I stopped that I'd only gone like three miles or something.  But, a quick drive of the route (aka "the ghetto Garmin method of measuring the distance of your run") showed that I ran exactly five.  Today's route was super hilly, and the wind kept messing with me too. Every time I thought it was at my back giving me a little boost, it would whip around and blast me in the face, just to remind me who was boss (hint: it wasn't me).  My average pace ended up being 9:18, which I'm okay with considering the hills and the wind.  Overall, not my best run ever, but I was happy to have the sun on my face.

As spring and summer approach and outdoor running becomes a reality again (for those of us who live in the frozen tundra, that is), I wanted to mention something that I never leave home without on my outdoor runs.  It's my RoadID band.  I'd never heard of them until my neighbor/friend/running pal told me about them last summer.  She had one and told me I should get one for myself.  If something should ever happen to me on the road, it's got my name, my birth year, my husband's first name and our home phone number.  There's also an online form that you fill out with any medical information you might want a paramedic to know that can be accessed by using the serial and pin number on the back of the ID band.  I thought it was a great idea, and for twenty bucks it's well worth the peace of mind it gives my husband (such a worrier, that man!).  So, here's what it looks like...

The serial and PIN # are on the back of the engraved ID plate.

 It has an adjustable nylon velcro band.

*****************************************************
Have I mentioned my newest obsession, Chobani yogurt?!

Realized this week that Costco carries it.  Booya! (Think we have enough yogurt in there?  And, yes, that's a 2 1/2 year old bottle of champagne in the back.)

*******************************************************
There was no dinner plan tonight (sorry to say, not uncommon for me) so I had to try to pull something together with what we had around (and Chobani yogurt was not an option.  boo.).  So we ended up having "The Green Meal".  I had a bag of baby spinach and some broccoli that needed to be used.  So I made Spinach Walnut Pesto.

It's so fast.  You just put everything in the food processor and turn it on.

Ta-da!!

To complete "The Green Meal" I cooked some pasta and steamed the broccoli and tossed it all together with the Spinach Walnut Pesto.  My daughter ate two bowls of it!  My son, not so much.  But he did scarf down about 74 blueberries.  I guess he had "The Blue Meal" in mind.

Spinach Walnut Pesto

2 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
3 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Place all ingredients into food processor and process to a fine paste.  Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.  Transfer to a glass container and top with a thin coat of olive oil to prevent pesto from discoloring.  Keeps well for weeks in the refrigerator.

*******************************************************
Yeah!!  It was nice enough for the kids to swing outside in the back yard today!  My husband built that swingset himself.

Have I mentioned that he's really crafty?

Is there something you never leave home without when you head out for a run?

Any latest obsessions you'd like to share?


Hope you're having a great weekend!

16 comments:

  1. Oh, the wind! My daughter and I noticed exactly the same thing yesterday. It wasn't that strong, but it seemed like everytime we thought we were running with it, it would change and become a headwind! Great job on getting through the run alone though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should really, really, really get a Road ID as 90% of my running is done on the road.

    At the 5K I ran in yesterday, they gave away 10 $15 Road ID gift certificates as door prizes. You were only eligible for the door prize if you didn't win an age-group award. When they told us that, my friend and I both looked at our awards and agreed we'd rather have the gift certificate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pesto looks great, I love pesto!! Not a fan of brocoli, but that could be adjusted. I run almost 100% by myself. It's hard to find a running partner who is as slow as me, it can definitely get boring, especially when you are ramping up the miles, but it's not always so bad - sometimes I solve the all of the world's problems on a long run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pasta looks great!! I wish I had a food processor, I finding that you can make some many cool things with them. Man I need to get to Costco I LOVE greek yogurt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard tons about those RoadID's...I need to get one! That pasta looks SO good! and your hubby is quite the crafter, it looks great!

    I featured you on my healthy living blog, hope ya don't mind!
    http://letsmoveitmommas.blogspot.com/2011/03/fellow-bloggers-can-be-so-motivating.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pesto looks yummy.

    I totally need to get a RoadId. I think about it all the time when I am out there running on a road.

    Good job on your solo run. Those can be hard when you are accustomed to a running buddy. I totally did the ghetto Garmin thing all last year. I was lucky enough to receive the real deal from my husband for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had a Road ID on my to-buy list a long time. After taking a huge fall yesterday, I'm thinking it needs to be moved up to the top of the list! Great job on your solo run!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Starting running Saturday morning. Thankfully, the wind didn't discourage me. I'm definitely an advocate of the RoadID - purchased one for my sister who runs by herself at night (ugh!), and will be buying one for myself. Thanks for the motivation - to run and make the purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all great job on the outdoor run!

    Chobani Yogurt! I had that at a race expo and LOVED it! I wish they sold it here! I'm printing this page for my recipe box! I think I would LOVE that pesto!

    I wish I could leave for a run without my Garmin but I'm addicted to the damn thing. I never even used to wear a watch....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post! Love the Chobani, the green pesto dinner, the swings and the crafty hubby! I nominated you for an award on my latest post...you don't have to do anything to accept it..just wanted to share my love for your new blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been wanting to try the yogurt. Pesto looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  12. We were thinking alike with the runnign buddy question, huh?! Energy in Numbers perhaps???

    Thank you for sharing the green meal recipe! I love it!! I have some whole wheat pasta to use and this looks like the perfect topping!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so much worse when I run alone! I need someone there to make me keep going/distract me from the fact that I'm tired! haha. Thankfully my running buddy just moved into my neighborhood so its easier for us to meet up!!!

    Hmm, what am I loving right now? Kale!!! I'm on a kale kick these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found your blog - I'm loving it! That pesto looks delish! I'll be back for more :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I run so often outside that I'm the opposite--I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a run on the treadmill. I'm used to staring at scenery.

    Mmm, that pesto sauce looks delicious, along with the stocked-up Chobani. I think the RoadID is a great idea--handier than trying to find a pocket for card ID for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there! I'm a new follower!!

    I need a Road ID too. I always bring my regular ID but forget to put it back in my wallet!

    Pesto looks amazing!

    I love Greek yogurt! Chobani is def. one of my faves!

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete